Thursday 26 February 2015

The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall

Ivy Weatherall

by Sarah Ellis

185 Pages birth 1915 and death unknown

      


 My name is Ivy D. Weatherall and my Auntie Lou gave me this diary for my eleventh birthday. It is good she gave it to me now because we are immigrating to Canada. I got tired very quickly of travelling it took us a boat and three trains . When we finally arrived I thought it would be completely different than England but not really. Elizabeth is my best friend but me and her get in huge trouble. Same as England .Sigh.We got in the most trouble when we egged Elizabeth's brother's car. It was totally worth it though he called us brats. At school recently we have been making poems for the christmas play we are putting on . For our play I get to wear a knee length crepe paper dress and recite a poem about the star above Mary and Joseph in the sky.This girl in our class is mean to me because I have an accent.  She gets to wear a rainbow dress and sing a solo in our play. Teacher likes her best.

Everything seems to be falling apart. We have to move to town because the harvest isn't getting us enough money and that means getting rid of our horse which is sad.

Today we moved I've never seen a house this empty. Especially our house which is always buzzing with excitement. Although things seem to be falling apart as long as we are together we will be fine.







Image result for ivy doris weatherall





The person most important to Ivy was her brother Will who she loved so much and had to help comfort because he had no friends because he talked funny



I recommend this book to ages 9-12 because it is a slightly mature book for younger kids and is too little vocabulary for older kids








2 comments: